3/19/2016

World Wide Quilting Day

I remember the excitement of the first National Quilting Day. A bit of searching on the web, led me to the website for the National Quilting Day Association HERE. Where I found this information:

A Brief History of National Quilting Day

In 1989, the Kentucky Heritage Quilt Society organized a "Quilters' Day Out" on the third Saturday of March to celebrate the rich tradition of quilt making in Kentucky. In 1991, the NQA officers were so enthused with the concept and success of "Quilters'Day Out" that they voted to take it to a national level.
The first National Quilting Day was observed in 1992 and since then it has grown into a global celebration for all quiltmakers and quilt lovers. Helen Storbeck, one of the founders of National Quilting Day, wrote in The Quilting Quarterly, "Groups of quilters were encouraged to hold special events, publishers and shop owners were invited to sponsor promotions especially for quilters and it quickly became a grassroots endeavor with quilters in every part of the country participating.  In the first year of National Quilting Day, quilters in other countries asked to participate. They were welcomed with open arms. As our feelings of a community network has evolved to include a world community, it is only appropriate
 that quilters and quilt lovers everywhere united to give recognition to the special art form."
There are countless ways to celebrate National Quilting Day.  Find a few suggestions here. 
Now it is a World Wide Quilting Day. 
And how am I participating in this day? 
The postman started me off this morning when he delivered a package to my door. It was my order from Hancock's of Paducah! This is what I got:
One yard cuts of 3 fabrics for some cute projects, maybe some potholders and a baby quilt.


I took advantage of their sale on Island Batiks with a yellow pre-cut package of half-yard pieces. I was delighted that they sent me the designs I did not purchase while I was there in February.
I bought one yard cuts of two fabrics with teal in them that I am going to be very happy using. 


I am taking out the center square of a table runner I was making. I did not like the colors I chose. It is an upcoming pattern so all I can show you is this mess. It won't be too difficult to fix and I am pleased with the new color choice. I am, of course, using Island Batik fabrics. My seam ripper took out the stitches in the batiks like it was running through butter! 


I will be doing some embroidery, letting the machine run while I rearrange some sewing room items. I figure I will multi-task. 

Have a great day and I hope it includes something related to quilting.



2 comments:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Great happy mail!! I've been contemplating getting an embroidery machine??? Do ya like it??

Needled Mom said...

I like the sunny yellows....perfect for spring. It is always nice to multi task with the machines.